Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Begining

One thing that has interested me for a long time has been the laws around service dogs. Since I first knew I wanted to be partnered with a dog with legal protections I started to learn all I could about them. Education of oneself and others (such as my family) is very important when starting off on such a life-changing endeavor. This draw to the service dog world helped to make me more conscious of disability rights outside of my own. Becoming more and more aware of the cross-disability community has shaped my vocation focus. The law is where I belong. Advocating is something that has seemingly come very naturally to and for me. It is time I use those skills to extend the reach of others. This blog is to show the methods I used to get from this point I just described, to working through all of the logistical, accommodations, applications and emotional processes that come with going to law school and being a person who is blind and has a learning disability.

4 comments:

  1. Knowing all of the educational and psychological and physical and emotional aspects that a child, now woman, has gone through to reach the point that she is applying her life experiences to wanting to help others achieve their goals and also to make a better life for herself (through serving others) makes me proud and happy to witness the journey! Love you Leslie, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea to blog on! and one that others will find useful, I am sure.
    You go, Girl! (ahem... Young Woman!)
    Barb Kaiser, RN/BSN Holistic Health Coach

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie,

    I'm the program director for Eyes Ears Nose and Paws, a small nonprofit that trains and places assistance dogs. Some of our supporters know you aunt, Lynn Garrett, and they directed me to your blog. Wonderful to see your pursuit in law and advocacy.

    As an interesting aside, two of our Puppy Parents (volunteer trainers) are law students and have taken their puppies to class and court. The law school at UNC has been very supportive of them and our organization.

    Best,
    Deb Cunningham

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Les,

    See, I told you that you should apply at UNC!

    Love you!

    Aunt Lynnie

    ReplyDelete